A friend of mine recently told me how hungry she was the first few weeks after delivering. She said she was more hungry while breastfeeding, than she was at any point in her pregnancy. A woman's body burns approximately 500 calories a day just from breastfeeding. So this got me thinking... I am already going to be exhausted and now I'm going to be hungry too, 2 things that make me a complete grouch.
Meal planning is something I've never really been very good at. I'm not good at taking the time to figure out what meals I want to make for the week so that I know what to buy at the grocery store. And I HATE grocery shopping, so if we don't have the necessary ingredients in the house to make a recipe, then guess what... it's going to be a frozen pizza night. I don't mind cooking and I don't particularly love frozen pizza. I am just not organized enough to make dinner every night without having to make a trip to the grocery store every single day.
So here's what I'm going to try... making up meals ahead of time that freeze well. I figure it will be great to have some meals on hand those first few weeks Eden is here and I'm feeling ravenous. But if it works out, this is something I would like to continue to do. It's important to me that we have dinner together and sit down as a family. So even on those days that I don't have the right ingredients or I'm just too tired or busy to make dinner, we can pull something out of the freezer (that's not processed pizza) and still have a decent meal.
Have any of you done this? If so, I'd like to know how it worked out for you and if you have any recipes you'd like to share!
Here's what I made up today. I tried to pick a variety of meals. I had recipes and ingredients for 7 meals, but I didn't get that far in one day. So far we've got 4 meals in the freezer (which will actually be way more than that for us.) Some of them I split in to 2 smaller containers, since it is just the 2 of us.
1. Mediterranean Tuna-Noodle Casserole
2. Beef Tamale Pie
3. Stuffed Peppers (filling)
4. Chicken Potato Casserole
| Mixing up the Beef Tamale Pie - tried this 1 out for dinner tonight & it's a keeper! |
Good for you being so prepared!!! The nesting stage is so funny.
ReplyDeleteI bought a Shark Steamer...you know from the infomercial HAHA, and I steam cleaned EVERYTHING...the oven, the blinds, all surfaces and cracks and crevices...then I got worked into a frenzy because nothing was clean enough and it hit me...baby wont care about the cracks and crevices...and I relaxed, for about a day ;)
I ate A LOT of sandwiches those first few weeks too, and dinner was either made for us or Frankie made it.
When Em was about 3 weeks old, I was sooooo tired and sooooo hungry, I couldnt decide if I wanted to eat or sleep, So I opened the fridge, saw Frankies left over milkshake and guzzled that and took a nap. LOL. I still managed to lose the baby-weight.
Remember, you dont have to do it all. Thats what family and friends are for.
Happy Nesting!!!!